Thursday, November 20, 2008

I am Not a Body, I am Free

"It is impossible to see your brother as sinless and yet to look upon him as a body . . . The body is the means by which the ego tries to make the unholy relationship seem real . . . Who sees a brother's body has laid a judgment on him, and sees him not. He does not really see him as sinful; he does not see him at all . . . Your question should not be, 'How can I see my brother without the body?' Ask only, 'Do I really wish to see him sinless?'" ACIM text pg. 440-441

Who am I? Who is the 'me' who is doing the asking? In my meditation today I tried to establish my true identify in my mind, in terms of a wife, a daughter, a crafter, etc., and I came up empty handed. Why? Because all of those "identities" are linked to this physical body and the brain, and we all know that ultimately they pass away. And so the peeling away of the personality (who I appear to be to myself and others) brought me to my true and only reality - that of spirit, a child of God, a part of the Sonship - and when I got to that point, I was no longer empty handed, but my hands were full with real substance. It also brought to my conscious awareness the fact that anytime I see another person, another living being, as a body, I am not seeing anything. I am not seeing them. For nobody is a body - no person, no animal. All is spirit, part of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment